Here’s an idea for storing gloves or other small items – wooden clothes pegs glued and screwed to a board of wood.
We burned the first batch of wood dried in the new wood store. I think it’s beech.
Buying a splitting maul or splitting axe? Learn from someone who made a mistake.
The first is a Faithfull (unfaithful) something or other which I promptly returned. It was like hitting a log with a sledge hammer. The second is a Draper Expert and makes splitting a pleasure.
Fibreblass handle. 6lb / 2.7kg head.
Very excited to get my hands on this new (to me) trailer.
It needed a new plug, so that was tonight’s task…
An hour or so round here of an evening and stress levels are destroyed. Not that I’m stressed. Think I just enjoy chopping wood.
I’ve spent a few days repairing dodgy slates on the roof of our auld hoose. Almost every replacement slate needs cut to size. Hence the debris…
It’s doing the job. The floating beam remains aloft, even with some cards weighing it down!
I settled on 12mm threaded rod to mount this beam.
This small project came about when I was asked whether the Raspberry Pi could measure the temperature of a biomass boiler and display it on a phone.
Using a couple of digital temperature sensors, the DS18B20, some python and a bash script, the temperature at each sensor is relayed to a web page every 60 seconds.
The beam was 6″ x 6″ PAR – planed all round – so it was anything but round.
Some shaping helps it look more aged & natural…
I used a freshly sharpened kukri to carve off the sharp edges and shape it around the knots. [Side note: have a read at this: wikipedia:Kukri — what a great tool.] I followed that with a belt sander at 80 grit, then hand-sanded to 120-grit. Oak is a nice wood to work.
I’ve got an offcut from the oak beam to test a couple of finishes… left is stain in shellac previously donated by a local french polisher. On the right is Briwax wax, “Jacobean” coloured.
I’m leaning toward the Briwax… the grain comes out more prominently.
Here’s the ladder constructed… just needs a coat or two of varnish.
I’m going to attempt to build a ladder for the kids to get into their loft-den. I’m using spare, recycled timber. The steps will be decking boards cut down the middle.
The loft in the log store is the perfect size for a kids’ den. Here I am flooring it with some recycled HDF.
I opted for Briwax to colour & protect the mantel beam. The beam is on order and should arrive in a few days. I’ll slightly shape (or “distress”) the beam then sand and finish with wax.
Got the corner pieces fitted and more wood inside. Happy that it’s now fairly weather tight (unless we get storms coming from the north).
Nice and tidy or pile them high…
Here is the final side completed for the log store. The ranch boards are held apart by small blocks so there will be plenty air flow to allow the logs inside to dry out.
I want my wood store to have good airflow, but I also need to keep out the driving rain. So I opted for slatted sides. I’m using ranch boards – 150 x 20mm – and overlapping them slightly with a 20 mm spacer to provide space for airflow.