Here is the final side completed for the log store. The ranch boards are held apart by small blocks so there will be plenty air flow to allow the logs inside to dry out.
I want my wood store to have good airflow, but I also need to keep out the driving rain. So I opted for slatted sides. I’m using ranch boards – 150 x 20mm – and overlapping them slightly with a 20 mm spacer to provide space for airflow.
I’m building a temperature sensor which updates a webpage, all being controlled from the Raspberry Pi Zero.
First thing is to solder some header pins on to the board, as the Zero comes “light”, so most functions need a little bit of work.
There’s been a fair amount of hype in the technical press about the Pi Zero (see https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-zero/) recently — and fair enough. Very cheap, reasonably powerful, and as small as you could ever imagine for a fully fledged linux computer. I’ve been showing mine off to friends and family, just because it’s been small enough to fit in my pocket without noticing it.
But what’s the point if it’s not doing something useful. Tonight I finally fired it up.
I am, in fact, writing this post on the Pi Zero.
First impressions, when I got it free with a magazine, were “wow! Tiny, cheap, powerful — the world’s my oyster!”
Second impressions were less positive. [Read more…]
I went to a friend’s today to repair his aerial cable.
Here’s how it how the cable had previously been joined (on the run up to a roof aerial):
I suspect that was the problem.
When the Raspberry Pi Zero appeared in the tech news, I phoned a local retailer and had them put aside a copy of MagPi magazine for me — a computer cheap enough to come with a magazine!?
It will normally retail for £4 — pretty amazing. I only just downloaded NOOBS to install on it – not plugged it in yet. Slightly disappointed there’s no ethernet onboard but otherwise it looks great.
A local expert French polisher has made me up a starter kit. [THANK YOU!] I’ve got to finish the skirting at either side of our fireplace, so it’s a nice small project to start with. Instructions are thus:
- Apply wood sealer with brush – and allow to dry
- Sand it down smooth
- Make up polish, adding a little pre-made stain to get the right depth of colour.
- Apply to wood
- …then what? I’ll let you know how it goes
I purchased a new wireless router for the house — mainly to be able to install DD-WRT on it, a custom firmware. It works a treat, sitting behind my original modem-router.
I bought a Linksys E1200 v2 for just over £20 – and DD-WRT is free. Brill.
The main benefits for me are:
- internal DNS – i.e. I can now use “nas” from any device in the house and it resolves to my internal network storage;
- customisable firewall and logging – I am sending firewall logs directly to an syslog server running on my internal network;
There are a million other things you can do with this system. So far so good.
After many wet and windy days, I got a dry Saturday to put the roof on the new log store.
Rafters, ridge board, sarking and a waterproof covering now in place. Slates can be done another time.
That’s all 16 rafters cut and ready for the log store roof. Need a few hours to get this constructed, nail on the sarking and cover with a roofing felt.
The window in my garage was rotten after years of prevailing wind and rain.
A kind friend made me a new frame and I fitted it recently. Just getting some gloss on it tonight.
I’m putting up a new log store in the back garden, and I want it to have a nice pitched roof, rather than a boring single sloped affair. It took me about a week to work out how to design the rafters.
One of the best tutorials I saw for cutting a rafter was here from ThisIsCarpentry:
So I needed a tool to measure angles, but couldn’t find a framer’s square like our friend in the video. I got one of these instead:
There was one loose slate to replce. But in separating the adjacent slates, another came out as the nail had rusted. In fixing that, another slid out just above it. One became three, which quickly became seven. 11 or 14 in total, can’t remember exactly.
Below is the sequence as I patched it back up again with replacement slates.
Our oven door shattered (Howden HJA3650). Time to replace the glass AND the hinges (the door never shut properly)… or get a new oven.
A couple of these parts, and a new pane, and it’s all working nicely again.
Picked up a couple of these Bottle Air Vents today from Screwfix – we had removed the old ones as they had rusted up. Fitting was easy since my dad had already added a couple of extensions to the existing t-pieces.